Monday, June 30, 2008

Nicole Madsen


Nichole Madsen (Glenn someday....) Has ten years really gone by, that is just crazy. It kind of makes me feel old... So, what have I been doing for the last ten years, that is an awfully good question. I went to college, or I guess colleges to be more accurate. I spent one year at Snow, one at CEU, then I went down to SUU to finish my bachelors degree and I started working for Youth Corrections. That particular career choice may or may not have been inspired by people that I used to hang out with in High School.....I then moved to Salt Lake to attend the U of U and work on my Masters in Social Work. It was through my first internship that I met my future sister-in-law and she introduced me to my husband, Matt Glenn, through a blind date. We were married a couple of weeks after I graduated from the U in May of 2004. He served his mission in Hungary and was attending school. I landed a job with the LDSH/IMC transplant team working with liver, kidney, and pancreas transplant recipients and Matt continued on with his schooling. I need a moment to brag about my brilliant husband, he is pretty incredible and discovered a talent for learning languages on his mission where he learned Hungarian. He came home and took Spanish, a couple of dialects of Arabic, and some French. He spent 6 weeks in Egypt doing a study abroad program to study Arabic while I stayed home and paid the mortgage on the home that we had purchased in down town Salt Lake, about half a block from Liberty Park. Matt finished school at the U of U in May of 2008 and we sold our home and moved down to St. George where we are taking an early "retirement" before Matt finds a full time job and supports me for a change! Matt's degrees are in International Studies and Middle Eastern Studies with an emphasis in Arabic and he was Arabic student of the year. He is planning on pursuing job opportunities with one of the government agencies with hopes of being able to work internationally. I think that his secret ambitions include dragging me off to the Sudan or somewhere where I have to walk behind him, act all subservient, wear a berka, and will probably finally have to change my last name..... We expect to once again by productive and tax-paying members of society by the end of the year. We do not have any kids yet but have two dogs, which I sometimes think are almost as much work. My family moved away from Emery County while I was in college and my parents now live in Milford of all places, which is actually smaller if you can believe it. I miss being able to go to Emery County to visit. Beside the small town feel and being able to leave your home and car unlocked I also miss all the friendships because I have done less than a stellar job of keeping in touch. Life just gets busy and the next thing you know you have been out of High School for ten years! Thanks for all of those that are working to put all of this together!

17 comments:

Nakki said...

You had wanted to do criminal justice or something way back when I think... its nice to get an update. Does this mean you kept you're maiden name? That's def. superstar status..perhaps you could be famous in Sudan...lol.

nmg said...

Wow a comment! Now I DO feel like a superstar! To answer your question Naco: My bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice and I worked for kiddie prisons for a few years before I got into grad school for social work. I have kept my maiden name. Yeah, that was a pretty intense dicussion the day before Matt and I got married....He had assumed that I would change it but you know what they say about assumptions! No, I will change it and the deal is that it has to before we have kids, he said that I could keep my last name even then as long as the kids were known as Glenns but that was a little to "not without my daughter" for me.

nancy said...

Nichole, I think I saw you at PCMC when we were staying there during a few of our stays. I wasn't sure though. I guess I should have said something huh!

nmg said...

Nancy, I totally did work at PCMC for a bit. I was doing some part time crisis work for them but then ended up moving. I loved the feel there though and I wish that you would have said something. I have a tendency to not notice obvious things around me when I have something on my mind, like people that I know....

Nakki said...

I love that you've kept your name...that's awesome. Besides, I wouldn't have recogized 'Nichole Glenn,' ha ha...and "Not without my Daughter" good ol' reading list books! And I'm glad I'm not the only one commenting!!!

nancy said...

I remember double taking when I saw you but I don't remember what I was there for. Usually a surgery or the NICU so I usually didn't really care to chit chat but I KNEW that was you!

Around what time did you work there? I thought you were one of the resident docs ( probably another reason I didn't say hi!)

nmg said...

Oh no, if it was a doctor that you saw then it was 100% not me. I did crisis work for them in 2007. I was there during normal business hours for staff meetings and trainings but the shifts that I worked were in the evenings and weekends. I was just on call and would get paged to come out for ER Trauma's, deaths, or other emergent situations that couldn't wait until normal business hours. Super sad but enormously satsifying work. It sounds like you know from experience that experiences at PCMC is either the happiest of the happy or the saddest of the sad. Good luck with your little man!

nancy said...

We had just had skull reconstruction and we were spending a week in the PICU and the neuro trauma/ really nice surgery unit till they stuck us in a hole. So it must have been the PICU. Sad place but nice to have someone to watch over the babe for ONE night while you get some much needed sleep. I am glad there are people like you there. I sure had my share of a social worker sit by our bed on the BAD days. Glad you like it! They need people who care

Kim said...

Hey Shaggy! I have been thinking about you. So good to hear about all your adventures! You subservient?!? (HAHAHA) Don't think so!
I don't think we are going to the reunion (on account of my growing stomach! Guess I am growing into your nickname for me--Fatty. Always loved that one, blah!) but I want to get in touch with you. (not sure how to do that without posting my email address, don't really want all the psychos emailing me.)Hmmm... will think of something.
Kind of sucks both our parents left the area. Makes it harder to keep in touch. Hope to talk to you later! Kim (Olsen) Anderson

nmg said...

Yeah Kim, I tried to reply to your message thru email so maybe it will get thru! It's great that you basically told everyone on the internet that I used to call you fatty and forgot to mention that it was all in sarcasim and jest!!!!If you don't get my email we will figure something else out!

Carisa said...

Hey Nick,
I'm glad to see your not lost. I have been wondering about where you ended up. Even though your families gone, you can always stay with me in Cleveland. I hope my husband may or maynot be the one you are refering to in regards to one of your first jobs!!!

nmg said...

Carissa, your not the first person to mention me being lost.... I swear that I knew where I was the whole time! I appreciate the invite to good ole' Cleveland, I might have to take you up on that sometime. I really do miss being able to come and visit and I wish that I had done a better job of keeping in touch. Of course I was not referring to your husband, for the simple fact that I think that Ryan was always way too smart to get caught!!

Kim said...

Hey Girl! If anyone knows you they know our nicknames were used out of sarcasm. I didn't get your email. Wonder if Wes would give them to us?

EHS Class of 1998 said...

Kim: email me (emery1998@gmail.com) and I'll pass your address along to Nichole.
[Lyndsay]

nmg said...

Kim, I will just post it on here. My email is nicmads@gmail.com I think that with my years of professional training that I can handle the psycho's that you mentioned earlier, or as I like to refer to them as our former classmates!! Hope to hear from you soon.

Kim said...

Thanks! You are one brave girl! Wes also sent it to me. He lives close so he said if you got mad he would show you where we live and help you exact your revenge. I told him we would just gang up on him. (Oh high school all over again!)
I will email you soon, but I have to focus on my lesson for Sunday so it may be next week some time. Plus, my ultrasound is on Monday, so hopefully I will have news to share with you! (We have 3 girls. I'm good with another one, but a boy would be nice for Daddy.)
Lyndsay: Thanks for the offer! Much appreciated!

aaron said...

I was just wondering if you had a brother named Rick? If you did, my name is Aaron Walker. He and I were good friends. I don't know if you remember me or not. If you do, please email me at aaron.walker@urs.org